Saturday, September 6

First and Last Day of Preschool


Amelia was pretty excited about starting preschool. I was not really hesitant because I know she does pretty well in social situations and I felt like she needed to get used to a little {away from mom} time before we launch her into all day kindergarten. (let's not go there yet) So, we register in the preschool next to Nate's office. First day of preschool and 12:30 would not come soon enough for her. She was ready to eat lunch at 10:00 when I told her we had to wait until after lunch. She picked out one of her new outfits (tea:) and insisted on curls in her hair. She walked right in and didn't even turn around to say good-bye. She was ready to play. Emma and I enjoyed a lunch in the park with dad, then kind of wondered what to do without our Mia. Finally, the 2 1/2 hour wait was over and I went to pick her up. When I went into the building, I just had a very uncomfortable feeling. I asked Amelia all about her day, and she had a wonderful lion that she made, and was thrilled to have been able to do puzzles. But I couldn't get over that feeling I had, and when I really thought about it, I had felt the same when we registered and I shrugged it off as nerves, etc. So, I took this one to my knees, and decided that I would find out more about the new teachers there this year, and then sit in on the class for a day or two. Amelia could finish up the month that I had paid for, and maybe I would feel more comfortable. That was when the impression came to me that it wasn't important to know {why} I felt so uncomfortable. What was important was to act on that feeling: no preschool there for Amelia. That was tough, and I really didn't want to disappoint her because she had had such a good time and there had been so much anticipation for preschool. The next morning I sat her down and explained that I felt like she shouldn't go to preschool there anymore and I asked her how she felt about that. She paused for a moment {thinking} and then a huge smile spread across her face and she said "GOOD." Enough said. No more preschool.

5 comments:

Rebecca Baca said...

Good for you! I know how tough it is to make even this kind of decision as a parent. I don't know what I would do without prayer.

The Lassen Family said...

Wow, those experiences are always tough because you don't want to disappoint. But it is amazing that we have such an incredible gift to know things we would not have otherwise known. So is she going to go somewhere else to pre-school, or just no pre-school period? Either way, you've made the decision you were supposed to make!

Adrienne and Darren said...

Kristi, you are so amazing. I am glad that Amelia was good about it. Thanks for sharing that story.

Frog Family said...

I envy your faith and hope someday I can be just like you! You are the best!

Brandon and Carly said...

What a neat experience, for both of you. You may never know why -- but sometimes it is better that way! ;) Enjoy having her home just a little longer!