Friday, April 11

Happy Birthday Clay-Dog

Clay directing the singing of Happy Birthday to him.

Clay. He wakes up and jumps in our bed. He's been doing a birthday countdown for about two weeks now, he's so excited. We wish him a happy birthday.
Nate says, "Let's see, in dog years that would make you 49."
"49!?!?!?! That's as old as Bruce Thornock!" with a little bit of disgust at the idea of being that old, and of course the delight that comes from being teased by dad. (Bruce, by the way, is turning 40 this year)

After school Clay got to see Connor and Jake, who were passing through on the way to their grandma's house, and then we went to the church for some Scouting business. While we were there, Grandma and Grandpa stopped by to give Clay his birthday presents, with which he was delighted.
It’s nearing dinnertime, and Nate suggested that we offer to take him wherever he wants to go for dinner. We were all looking forward to going out to eat, since we don’t go out much. Here’s how the conversation went.
“Clay, where do you want to go to dinner, we can go anywhere in the world you want.”
“Hawaii?”
“Maybe not, it’s a little far.”
“Where does Uncle Andrew live?”
“Provo”
He stands there thinking for a minute and says, “That’s too far too.”
“OK, where do you want to go? Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, Chili’s”
“We’d have to go far to go somewhere like that. Let’s just stay here.”
“OK, there’s JB’s, Bear Town, Pizza Hut, and Don Pedros.”
“McDonald’s too”
“Yes, there’s McDonald’s too, but we could go somewhere nicer than that.”
“Let’s just go home and eat.”
Sidetracked, so we pick up the conversation later in the car.
“Clay, where are we going for your birthday dinner?”
“I told you I want to eat one mom’s famous home-cooked meals.”
In the background you can hear Sam, “Clay don’t you want a chicken-fried steak at JB’s? They’re really good!”
And Amelia, “I want to go to Bear Town.”
And Emma, “I waaaaant cheeeeeesssssseee piiiiiiiiizzzzzzzaaaaaa.”
So, we get dad on the phone,”Hey, honey, just meet us at home. Clay doesn’t want to go out.”
“I’ve been looking forward to eating out all day, let me talk to him.”
I hand the phone to Clay and after a brief pause I hear him say,
“But dad, I want to eat at home. The Birthday Boy has spoken.”
Well, that settled it. The Birthday Boy had spoken and he wanted to eat what he had eaten the night before, chicken tostadas, or tacos. I asked if he wanted beef or chicken tonight, and he said beef. So, I make dinner.
Clay gets to the table and asks, “Where’s the chicken stuff?”
“You said you wanted beef”
“OK”
We all enjoyed our dinner of beef tacos.
None of us had finished before Clay was ready to tear into the presents.



ipod shuffle (blue of course)


pitching machine
(was that for Clay, or his dad?hmmmm?)


football & book

(Thank You Grandma & Grandpa)
He was thrilled with it all. He’s such a cheeseball, and he poses beautifully for every picture.

Now, to get a better window to Clay’s personality, let me tell you about his birthday wishes. Weeks ago I asked what kind of Birthday Party he would like to have. He thought for a little bit and then said, “a prophet party.”
“A Prophet Party?!?!?”
“Yes, I want a cake with Joseph Smith. No, Gordon B. Hinckley. And then we’ll play a prophet game. It will be really cool.”
SO, how does a do-it-yourself cake maker make a cake of the prophet? And still feel good about consuming it? We compromised on a cake of Joseph Smith in the sacred grove.


Well, here it is. What you can’t tell is that our little figurine there is really a bull fighter, but, he had joints in all the right places to be able to make him a kneeling, praying prophet. Clay was thrilled. And, thank you Grandma and Grandpa Lester for the outfit and the construction gear that could not stay in the package for another minute.

I have thought quite a bit about what would possess a 7 year old to want a prophet birthday party. Clay was very affected by the passing of President Hinckley earlier this year. Even at this most recent General Conference, he mentioned that when he thought about President Hinckley he felt sad. I like to think that in his 7 year old world, the Prophet is important enough to celebrate, to remember, and to honor on Clay's important day. I hope that attitude never changes.

2 comments:

The Lassen Family said...

What a great story and fun look at how Clay is wired...what a "righteous dude". Happy Birthday! -Uncle Greg

Adrienne and Darren said...

clay is so stinkin' cute. He looks just like his mom. Lucky kid!!!