Thursday, August 30

Odds and Ends

I hope you haven't given up on me. As much as I would have loved to be posting better, it's had to take a back seat on the priority list, which means it doesn't get done. But, I'm staying up late tonight. The talk went well. It was incredibly difficult. I spoke after our Stake President, who spoke on families, motherhood, and told some very personal and touching experiences. So, I had to get up to give my talk with tears already in my eyes and a lump in my throat. I was happy for the comic relief that my first story provided so that I could "catch my breath" before heading into another emotional spell. If anyone is ambitious enough to read, I've posted the talk as I gave it more or less. It was an awesome experience to speak in such amazing company: Elder Hales and his wife Mary, Elder Murdock of the seventy, the mission president and his wife, and our stake president. It was honestly one of the more humbling things I've ever been asked to do.

So, the other day I was buckling Amelia into her carseat and what I saw just made me laugh.
She had in her hands: a doll, a maraca, a spoon, and a bag of cheese nips. I thought of how she always has a purse, backpack, bag, or even a plastic baggie (today it was a treat bag she found left over from a birthday) filled with the most random things you could ever imagine. And why she thought it was so important to take with her a doll, maraca, spoon, and a bag of cheesenips, I don't think I will ever understand, but I will laugh. In fact, I am sitting here chuckling to myself as I write this. She is such a joy!!

And then there is Clay. He has been bugging me about getting him a SpiderMan costume for several weeks now. (2 months until Halloween) So, when I was at Costco on Tuesday I saw one for significantly less than the ones in the catalogues. I was quick to get it since there was really no question in my mind that that is what he wants to be for Halloween. I thought I could surprise him with it. Well, there was really no surprise to it because that night, Clay started to pester me again about "when are we going to order my costume? Can we do it tonight?" All thoughts of a dramatic presentation and any surprise element just lost itself in my desire to not have to find yet another excuse for not ordering it. SO, I directed him to look where I'd stashed it, and let me tell you, you've never seen a happier boy. Well, just imagine the scenario the next day after school. Mom, can I try on my costume? Yes, but just to see if it fits. He came running out of the house, Emma screamed in terror, I ordered him to remove the mask, and noticed how well it fit and asked him to take it off. So, a couple hours later, after dinner, costume still on, he goes outside with a neighbor that had come over to play football with Sam. I walked outside to call them in and this is what I saw. Again, I laughed out loud.

And then Emma. She thinks she's just as big as the rest of the kids. Really. If you ask her how old she is, she says, "I tree" (3). She dances like crazy to every song on the radio, and even sings along to her favorites. One of my favorite things she does is call Sam "Awsome" or "awsammy." She's pretty much got us all calling him "awesome" now. Not a bad nickname. Did I mention she cries alot in the mornings? It's getting better since we introduced time out for this particular thing, but she's a girl, melt downs are inevitable.Then Sam, the first born. I've mentioned all the rest. He likes to tell jokes and stories. He is such a cowboy. He's curious and active. Last Saturday we went on a "little" horse ride with Ron and Kathy and the boys. Sam had a new saddle whose stirrups were a little long. So, for the first 1/2 hour he kept asking when we were going to stop to fix his stirrups. He had quite the pout going on for awhile. Sad thing, it reminded me of certain times when I should have been having fun, but was so fixated on that ONE thing that was not quite right that I was able to completely spoil it all. Why do we pass these things on? Well, he did get over it and we enjoyed our 15 mile ride over rocky terrain through the Uintas.

Enough for tonight. Maybe I'll be back before the end of September!














2 comments:

Sydney said...

Beautiful family. It's amazing how quickly they've grown in the few years since we've seen you. It's been fun catching up on your lives a bit. We started a blog too, so if you have a spare moment, stop on by. www.thecondieclan.blogspot.com

The Lassen Family said...

How cute are those kids! I wish we lived closer...

Sis