Tuesday, June 8

Update

I'd post pictures so you could see the progression of Sam's broken nose and subsequent black eyes, but I have a baby asleep in my arms, and the camera is not within an arms length. We went in to see the Dr on Monday and we decided to try surgery to put the septum back into place. {It's pushed clear to the left side of his nose, blocking the left nostril} It should be quick and easy. We were going to do it on Wednesday, but Nate had a pretty busy morning scheduled, so he will come home from Youth Conference on Friday morning for the surgery.

Right now, Nate is at the new building pumping water out of one of the out buildings, and off the property back into the river. It is amazing how high the river is right now. I felt pretty confident that the buildup along the river would prevent any mishaps, but water is finding it's way through somehow. And I know we are not the only ones affected by flooding right now. Since this evening, we have to cross a stretch of road that is buried in water. We pass houses several times a day {for the last 2 days} where people are working frantically to divert the flow, and protect their property. The kids think it's great...it's like one great big swimming hole from 107 to home. I think what amazes me just as much as the power of nature, is the strength of community. As I was leaving our flood to take the kids home to bed, I looked back and saw almost a dozen friends and community members putting their heads together to figure out a solution. I can't describe how impressed I was, how grateful I felt, and how wonderful it is to live in a place where people watch out for one another. Nate called and told me of many others who stopped by to assess the situation. If the water was coming through because of a weakness in the bank, it could have serious ramifications for the entire north end of town. The city will be all over that tomorrow. I hate to wish for cooler weather, but maybe that would slow the beast for awhile, and give some time to recover from the water...

ok...I put Henry down. This post was begging for pictures...I just have some shots from tonight. I'll get Sam on here soon.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Tha force of the water is amazing to watch! Sorry, it is in your building in town.

The Lassen Family said...

Oh my. You do have a lot going on there! I hope the kids are healing up nicely and glad you have so much help with getting the flooding under control.