Nate and Derek hid easter eggs all over the side and back yard. It was actually almost better than last year because there were holes from footprints everywhere, and they just dropped the eggs in those holes, among other places.
The sun was shining, the kids had a blast, and we had a riot watching.
Could those be buds on the tree? Didn't think so. But I am wondering when Sam got tall enough to reach that high on the horse trailer without stepping up on the wheels.

Amelia lost interest as Clay tried to get this egg for her. What a good big brother.

Tinkerbell in her rain boots and the ever watchfull Yukon. So CUTE!
As I mentioned before we also had brunch. I would not be my mother's daughter or my grandmother's granddaughter if I did not at least elaborate on the meal. We had croissants and muffins from Costco. As I was putting them out that morning, I started thinking, "How is this any different from Chocolate Cake?" It sure tasted as good. I guess if Goofy can serve hot dogs at his brunch, I can serve chocolate cake disguised as muffins. On with the menu: Fruit salad of pineapple, grapes, strawberries, and kiwi. Ham. Dutch Oven Potatoes. Breakfast Casserole, and French Toast Strata, apple and cherry. Easter Egg Jello things. Orange Juice and Water. I can't forget to mention the chocolate, candy, and more candy that the kids had just discovered in the yard. That was a pretty big part of the meal for most of them. I've loved how there are some of you who post recipes on your blog. So, here's one from this meal that I thought turned out pretty well. No pictures, though.
Stuffed Apple French Toast Strata
The credit for this recipe goes entirely to Nate's Aunt Jan.
6 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 C maple syrup
8 oz cream cheese ( I only used half)
1 loaf French bread, cubed
8 eggs
2 1/2 C half & half or milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
In a greased 9x13 pan place half of cubed bread. Cut cream cheese into cubes and add to pan. Place remaining cubes of bread over cream cheese. Mix melted butter, eggs, cream, syrup, vanilla, and salt together. Pour over bread. Press bread to absorb the liquid. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 325 for 35-40 minutes. Pull from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Make syrup:
1/2 C sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp butter
4 tsp corn starch
1 C apple juice
1 Tbsp lemon juice
In a small sauce pan, stir together all ingredients except the butter. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes, or until thick. Add butter. Pour over hot French Toast.
CHERRY LOVERS: For a variation, (I made this part up), drain a can of tart cherries, keeping the juice. Add the cherries when you add the cream cheese to the bread. When you make the syrup, omit the cinnamon, and substitute the cherry juice for the apple juice. YUMMY!
7 comments:
ok so I know I am getting older but am I the only one who can't read this recipe? Thanks though! We were sad we missed the fun this year we hope you will invite us again next year!
Princes
OK! Not sure what happened there, but that should be more legible. You know, the boys sure had fun on their adventure that afternoon. Next Year!!!
Sounds like so much fun! I LOVE that picture of Amelia!
Mmmmm--that french toast sounds so good. It makes me wish I had a loaf of french bread sitting around and I'd go get some ready for tomorrow morning!
Marinda
sounds like fun -- snow and all!
The Easter Egg hunt was so much fun and I love the pictures. We are so glad that you host such an awesome event!!!!
Just printed it for Sunday. Thanks :)
Post a Comment