
This book by Jane Clayson Johnson is my new favorite book. I got it for myself for Mother's Day, but then just barely picked it up a couple of nights ago when Emma, for the umpteenth night in a row, screamed relentlessly when I put her down to bed. We've tried it all: the bedtime routine, the driving in the car to sleep, the cry it out. I'm not sure what else to try. She does not like to go to bed. In fact, she's screaming her guts out as I write this at 9:45pm. I need a set of earplugs. Aren't they supposed to eventually go down nicely? Within days? We are pushing several months here.
Back to the book. It is honest, insightful, and inspiring. Every woman (mother or not) of every faith could benefit from the perspective and understanding that she illuminates through her research and real life experiences. Here are two quotes that particularly spoke to me:
"The more skillful the caregiver, the more invisible her efforts become. Ideally, the recipients themselves don't even notice that they are being cared for, other than to accept caring as part of the natural order of things...Like the work of a fine seamstress, the tiny stitches that build character and confidence are invisible to the eye."(Ann Crittenden, The Price of Motherhood, 72)(quoted on p. 60)
I often feel like my stitches are way too uneven and far too long. I would love for my children to feel caring and security so naturally. I pray constantly to be a better "seamstress." My friend Alisa is the best seamstress I know. She emmanates love, patience and understanding to eveyone she meets. I want to be like her when I grow up, or now would be good for my children's sake.
"If you can control your behavior when everything around you is out of control, you can model for your children a valuable lesson in patience and understanding...and snatch an opportunity to shape character."p.81
Great Book. I walked away from that book with more confidence and a feeling that there is someone else out there who understands the struggle.
Now I sit with my beautiful Emma girl in my arms, barely holding her eyes open, and telling me knock knock jokes. Isn't life wonderful?
3 comments:
So beautifully put, sister. I loved the book too and felt the same way! I think you are a fabulous mother, by the way.
OOOOooo, I'm going to have to read that one. I too am not the best mom I could be that's for sure. The whole being calm during screaming and such...not my forte. I think I pray every night to be "slow to anger". Hopefully I will be some day!
Kristie- I love you! And I love the beautifully simple ways that you love and care for all those around you.
Thank you!
-Alisa
Post a Comment